Nuclear Waste Services has a vacancy for a Finance Business Partner to join its busy team working in either Harwell Oxfordshire or Calderbridge Cumbria.
As part of this role, you will act as the ‘face of finance’ partnering with allocated Lines of Business (“LoB”s) / Enabling Functions to help them understand and manage their budget and maximise value for money. The postholder will be embedded with their allocated areas, be highly visible and may attend Leadership meetings where appropriate They will be a critical friend to these areas as well as robustly challenging decisions from a financial perspective.
You will use a detailed understanding and relationship with the business to explain actual performance, accurately forecast future performance and help improve performance and the Value for Money (“VfM”) we deliver for the taxpayer.
Areas partnered will be allocated by the Senior Finance Business Partner and may change from time to time.
- First point of contact for the business for Finance (non-routine) queries
- Attend as Finance representative leadership meetings for smaller enabling functions and LoBs
- Work with the business to help them improve their financial understanding – supporting through training and 121 mentoring / explanations.
- Providing accurate and timely analysis on the financial and operational performance of their areas. Clear commentary and variance analysis for the teams they support and feed into the overall explanation of NWS financial performance.
- Support the business with Spending Review, Budgets and Rolling monthly forecasts, challenging inputs and explanations as appropriate. Aim is to deliver an accurate and realistic view of outturn with clear understanding of associated risks and opportunities.
- Act as the Financial voice with the business - providing challenge and support to senior managers across the organisation, to ensure decisions appropriately reflect financial considerations and VfM for the taxpayer.
- Support and cover the Senior Finance Business Partners as required
- Ad-hoc financial analysis and modelling.
- Capture / quantify / track efficiency savings identified and delivered by the business.
- Work with the business and HR Business partners to track actual and forecast headcount and to confirm whether planned recruitment is budgeted.
- Approve Purchase Orders as being within budget up to delegated authority
- Professionally qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent)
- Strong financial modelling and Excel skills
- Prior business partnering experience
- Previous experience of budgeting and scenario-based forecasting
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
We value the unique differences that each of our colleagues bring to work every day and are committed to creating an environment where everyone feels respected, included and able to perform at their best. We are committed to creating a workplace that is diverse and inclusive. We value the diversity of our people and actively seek to have a workforce that represents the rich diversity of the communities we support. Currently we are underrepresented in some areas, and would particularly welcome applicants from Women, Black, Asian and Ethnic Minorities, LGBTQ+ and candidates who have a disability.
In promoting equal opportunities, we welcomes applications from all sections of the community. We select people according to their abilities and our needs. As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet all of the essential criteria for the vacancy. In cases where we have a high volume of disabled candidates who meet all of the essential criteria, we will interview the best candidates from within that group.