This is a great opportunity to play a key role in developing a high performing Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) function.
The role will build strong relationships across the lines of business and enabling functions and be accountable for the production and delivery of financial information to include forecasting, budget management, outturn scrutiny and benefit tracking. The role holder will operate across the organisation and will develop new methodologies as well as ensuring the Head of FP&A is prepared and has the right level of information to help hold the organisation to account.
They will be responsible for the day to day running of the financial analysis and planning for NWS. They will use new and existing FP&A tools and their detailed understanding financial and business process to forecast and explain financial performance and identify financial risks and opportunities to improve performance. The role holder will also lead on the budget setting process, ensuring any alignment with the wider NDA and spending reviews. The role holder will be responsible for the running of the financial planning function and will develop their team and others across the organisation. They will build a financial planning vision and blueprint and support the Head of FP&A in the implementation.
- Coordination and leadership of the budgeting, forecasting and long-term planning process
- Lead on analysing actuals against budget/ forecast and prior year
- Support decision making by providing stakeholders with timely, detailed and meaningful insights and visibility on financial performance
- Develop clear and engaging presentations to communicate financial information in a compelling and simple way, for a variety of differing audiences including the NWS Exec, Board and NDA Corporate Centre
- Development and oversight of the SharePoint file structure for the finance teams, ensuring all documentation and financial information is organised effectively and accessible as necessary
- Perform ad-hoc analysis where required to assist in management decision making
- Day to day management of the NWS FP&A system (Vena or equivalent) and work to continuously improve how it is used – reducing the reliance on Excel in the business
- Manage the Financial Forecasting process (process, systems, timelines, guidance, review meetings etc) – encompassing rolling forecast, budget, Government Spending Reviews, Corporate Targets, Operating Plan etc
- Using Power BI to help present information through a number of lenses, developing new ways of reporting.
- Responsible for consolidating financial reporting across NWS and producing Exec / Board slide packs for the CFO/Finance Director and Head of FP&A to present which explain clearly and simply financial and operational performance of the business against budget and forecast (with clear variance analysis and insight)
- Manage risk to NWS Outturn – working with Finance Business Partners to ensure that these are identified early and managed appropriately. For opportunities work with the Finance team to ensure they are identified owned and delivered
- Track performance against the NWS Integration Business case (and other key Business Cases on behalf of the Exec / Board) and put in place appropriate efficiency tracking to ensure that we deliver the best value for money for the UK Taxpayer
- Lead analysis and interpretation of complex financial information and transform it into actionable insight and recommendations
- Work as a key member of the FP&A team and wider finance function to help the business achieve its strategic objectives
- Develop the financial planning team, overseeing the work of others and leading areas of work, delegating effectively, while maintaining accountability
- Work with colleagues across the NDA to understand and share best practice
- Deputise for the Head of FP&A as required
- Fully Qualified Accountant (CIMA / ACCA / ACA / CIPFA or equivalent) with considerable post qualification experience
- You will have previous experience of operating in a FP&A role in large complex organisations
- Significant experience in analysing large datasets, and communicating them effectively
- Experience in prioritising work and managing the workloads of others, managing expectations and taking responsibility for delivery against tight deadlines.
- Demonstrable experience in problem solving, challenging and leading activity to the best solution.
- Experience in developing financial reporting products and methodologies and building best practice.
- Experience in understanding and interpreting financial information and the ability to correlate with business performance
- Demonstrable experience in providing subject matter expertise in analysis and presentation of financial data
- Experience in leading and developing others in a financial operation
- Proven experience in using financial modelling tools and the use of Excel and PowerPoint to communicate the story.
- Public Sector and Nuclear experience would be advantageous but not essential
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to present complex financial information simply
- Able to quickly build rapport with and influence key stakeholders
- On appointment to an RWM, full-time staff are entitled to a generous annual holiday allowance of 38 days’ annual leave. LLWR up to 43 days in addition to a buy/sell scheme
- Rewarding performance (bonus scheme)
- We offer a generous above average pension scheme
- learning and development support
- payment of relevant annual professional subscriptions
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Financial advice assistance
- Flexible working
- Extended family-friendly policies
- Cycle to work scheme
- We welcome flexible and agile working practices
- Flexible working requests can be submitted from day 1 of employment
We value the unique differences that each of our colleagues bring to work every day and are committed to creating an environment where everyone feels respected, included and able to perform at their best. We are committed to creating a workplace that is diverse and inclusive. We value the diversity of our people and actively seek to have a workforce that represents the rich diversity of the communities we support. Currently we are underrepresented in some areas, and would particularly welcome applicants from Women, Black, Asian and Ethnic Minorities, LGBTQ+ and candidates who have a disability.
In promoting equal opportunities, we welcomes applications from all sections of the community. We select people according to their abilities and our needs. As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet all of the essential criteria for the vacancy. In cases where we have a high volume of disabled candidates who meet all of the essential criteria, we will interview the best candidates from within that group.