Nuclear Waste Services has a vacancy for an experienced Senior Project Controls Engineer with a focus on the cost discipline, to join the Project Controls Team, flexible working from our Pelham House location in Cumbria.
This is for an 18 month fixed term contract or NDA Group secondment.
As a Senior Project Controls Engineer, you will join an established and growing team to provide a project controls service, to provide a comprehensive cost management service to one of Nuclear Waste Services significant Project or Programme of works. As part of the team, you will be responsible for independently and robustly managing, measuring and reporting performance of a significant, dynamic and rapidly changing project or programme of work with a level of professional input in the execution of the role.
- Lead on project controls processes and requirements on designated scope of work and be the key contact for the project team and project controls resources allocated to the area of work
- Independently develop, manage and maintain significant programmes of work in accordance with Nuclear Waste Services established project controls framework through detailed volume production and the trending and change control process
- Provide accurate forecasts for expenditure and performance within the financial year and project lifetime to support project and finance reporting requirements
- Prepare accruals and journals for areas of workControl project expenditure as part of an authorisation chain
- Organise and lead monthly cost reviews for all designated areas of responsibility
- Understand forms of contract and how these impact on cost forecasting and management
- Contribute to the ongoing update and resubmission of project and programme business cases asrequired
- Maintain cost control databases for areas of work, and ensure validation and integrity of data across systemsProvide Earned Value Analysis, identify critical areas, trends and recommend recovery options, and contribute to clear and concise reporting including the production of project and programme dashboards
- Provide a governance role within the project controls framework by assisting in the preparation and maintenance of project control policies and procedures, and actively promote adherence to them throughout the business
- Contribute to the quality assurance process regarding change control and sanction submissions
- Assist in mentoring and supporting colleagues in their development
- Provide support to the application of risk processes to the Project Teams
- Minimum of 5 GCSE's or NVQ equivalent (grade C or above) including Maths, English and a science plus 2 others
- Possession of appropriate professional qualification, together with demonstrable relevant experience within a cost engineering / project controls role
- Strong mathematical skills
- Understanding of basic accounting principles such as debits, credits and accruals
- Demonstrates ability to produce and present information to high standards
- Able to work under pressure and adapt to changes in the work environment, managing competing demands and meeting tight deadlines
- Strong knowledge of procedures and methods relevant to their field together with full understanding of underlying principles.
- Conveys strong communication and interaction skills, externally and internally and has the ability to influence key stakeholders
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- Excellent IT skills, including Microsoft Excel and experience of using Project Controls cost, and reporting software.
- Experience using Contruent
- Experience using Business World ERP system
We value the unique differences that each of our colleagues bring to work every day and are committed to creating an environment where everyone feels respected, included and able to perform at their best. We are committed to creating a workplace that is diverse and inclusive. We value the diversity of our people and actively seek to have a workforce that represents the rich diversity of the communities we support. Currently we are underrepresented in some areas, and would particularly welcome applicants from Women, Black, Asian and Ethnic Minorities, LGBTQ+ and candidates who have a disability.
In promoting equal opportunities, we welcomes applications from all sections of the community. We select people according to their abilities and our needs. As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet all of the essential criteria for the vacancy. In cases where we have a high volume of disabled candidates who meet all of the essential criteria, we will interview the best candidates from within that group.