Nuclear Waste Services has a vacancy for a Systems Safety Engineering Lead to join the safety cases team, with flexible working across the NWS estate.
Although this role has a safety case focus to it, it is primarily about ensuring that requirements arising from the environment, safety, security and safeguards case (E3S) for Geological Disposal and Near Surface Disposal are implementable and non-conflicting from a systems engineering (e.g. INCOSE) perspective. Thus, there is an expectation that a successful candidate will have a strong background in systems engineering and with demonstrable experience.
As part of this role you will also provide assurance that the expected programme outcomes will be realised by the work being planned and executed.
- Coordinating development of appropriate safety systems engineering processes and procedures and overseeing their use.
- Manage the E3S common requirements set.
- Oversee development of data models to ensure consistency of approach ensuring adequate consultation with toolkit users.
- Oversight/control of the 'digital' data that underpins safety case development. The 'right things done' aspect.
- Responsible for identification of training requirements (Discipline Lead) and their implementation for all direct reports, supporting them to achieve and maintain appropriate standards and qualifications in system safety engineering.
- Development and delivery of training in relevant aspects of systems engineering for the wider team
- Provision of timely and accurate reports on the quality (validation from a safety perspective) of all system requirement verification and validation documentation.
- Advising on key issues from quality control activities associated with system requirement documentation.
- Provision of timely and accurate progress reporting to the Head of Integrated Safety Cases and nominated Lead Project Manager.
- Liaise with appropriate parties to support the development of the strategy and work programme for delegated safety report sections, reaching agreement with the responsible safety case delivery lead and communicating to the wider safety cases team.
- 10 years demonstrable experience in systems engineering through training and application within a highly regulated industry (i.e. nuclear, aviation, defence, rail) and with competency achieved and maintained.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, particularly at senior management level
- Experienced in the mentoring, training and development of more junior staff
- Ability to effectively explain complex technical issues to a wide audience (including non-specialists), both verbally and in writing.
- Development and use of requirements management tools, e.g. DOORs
- Knowledge of the UK regulatory framework and the application of relevant legislation, guidance and relevant good practice within the nuclear industry or other highly regulated industry.
- Solid understanding of safety cases, strategy development and their delivery in the nuclear industry
- Experience of liaising with UK Regulators.
- INCOSE membership or equivalent
- Degree in Engineering or Science.
- Membership of a professional institution
We value the unique differences that each of our colleagues bring to work every day and are committed to creating an environment where everyone feels respected, included and able to perform at their best. We are committed to creating a workplace that is diverse and inclusive. We value the diversity of our people and actively seek to have a workforce that represents the rich diversity of the communities we support. Currently we are underrepresented in some areas, and would particularly welcome applicants from Women, Black, Asian and Ethnic Minorities, LGBTQ+ and candidates who have a disability.
In promoting equal opportunities, we welcomes applications from all sections of the community. We select people according to their abilities and our needs. As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet all of the essential criteria for the vacancy. In cases where we have a high volume of disabled candidates who meet all of the essential criteria, we will interview the best candidates from within that group.