Nuclear Waste Services has 2 vacancies for Waste Management Specialists to join its busy team.
As part of this role you will support the delivery of the NWS mission to make nuclear waste permanently safe, sooner through engagement with key stakeholders and customers as well as completion of disposability assessments of waste packaging proposals intended for disposal in a Geological Disposal Facility (GDF).
You will provide expert waste management advice through the timely delivery of quality disposability assessments, and delivery of Waste Management solutions in support of the RWM corporate mission.
- You will provide expert waste management advice through the timely delivery of quality disposability assessments, and delivery of Waste Management solutions in support of the RWM corporate mission.
- The WMS delivers advice and disposability assessments vital to the continuing waste management and decommissioning mission of the UK to manage legacy waste as well as new nuclear build and SMR/AMR customers.
- The role requires the individual to build strong collaborative relationships with customers and colleagues to deliver high quality technical advice against complex issues.
- The WMS will support the Senior Waste Management Specialist in a broad range of discussions from customers to industry partners and government bodies.
- The WMS will be responsible for identifying improvements to processes as they are developed into a recognised expert in disposability assessments.
- The role reports directly to the relevant Senior Waste Management Specialist and has no direct reports.
- Management of individual disposability assessments including scheduling, resourcing, costs and customer expectations.
- Expert waste management advice and guidance to customers on the production of waste packages compatible with RWM standards and specifications, and the geological disposal concept.
- Ongoing engagement with waste packagers in support of the disposability assessment schedule.
- Effective communication of identified requirements within RWM, contributing to and managing resolution.
- Confirming application of required controls on waste package product quality through audit of relevant management systems and technical conformance.
- Degree in a science or engineering subject.
- Technical report writing to a good standard of English.
- Resilience and proven ability to behave professionally in challenging circumstances.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to build and maintain excellent working relationships.
- Member of a relevant professional institute with an interest in working towards chartered status.
- Knowledge of radioactive waste packaging processes and UK waste packaging plant, and of options for packaging of legacy wastes and potential wastes from new reactors.
- Experience in managing multiple parallel projects.
- Experience of regulatory processes as applied to operational process plant and construction sites.
- On appointment to an RWM, full-time staff are entitled to a generous annual holiday allowance of 38 days’ annual leave. LLWR up to 43 days in addition to a buy/sell scheme
- Rewarding performance (bonus scheme)
- We offer a generous above average pension scheme
- learning and development support
- payment of relevant annual professional subscriptions
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Financial advice assistance
- Flexible working
- Extended family-friendly policies
- Cycle to work scheme
- We welcome flexible and agile working practices
- Flexible working requests can be submitted from day 1 of employment
We value the unique differences that each of our colleagues bring to work every day and are committed to creating an environment where everyone feels respected, included and able to perform at their best. We are committed to creating a workplace that is diverse and inclusive. We value the diversity of our people and actively seek to have a workforce that represents the rich diversity of the communities we support. Currently we are underrepresented in some areas, and would particularly welcome applicants from Women, Black, Asian and Ethnic Minorities, LGBTQ+ and candidates who have a disability.
In promoting equal opportunities, we welcomes applications from all sections of the community. We select people according to their abilities and our needs. As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet all of the essential criteria for the vacancy. In cases where we have a high volume of disabled candidates who meet all of the essential criteria, we will interview the best candidates from within that group.